Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Introducing Plum Purdy Primitives--Primitive Hooked Rugs and other Woolies!

Well, after alot of hard work , we finally have the new website
up and running.
Plum Purdy Primitives
is a division of Eagle Emporium.
We are now offering our Primitive (original) hooked rugs, Primitive(original) Rug Hooking Patterns, Rug Hooked figures, Needlefelted originals, and washed Roving.
All are hand made by me, Dianne McLaughlin.
Living in Chester County Pennsylvania, I am surrounded by beautiful scenery that lifts my spirits. My surroundings have brought me closer to nature and the history of the area has enhanced my appreciation of earlier times and customs. It is the inspiration for my love of antiques, folk art and primitive pastimes. In my past 20 years as an antique dealer , I had amassed a large collection of spinning wheels and parts and an amazing array of rug hooks and punch needles but had never managed to spin or make a hooked or punched rug. Just enjoying and handling the pieces gave me a connection with the earlier times that I loved. But, of course, that had to change! When I finally took a class in rug hooking, there was no turning back. I found myself totally engrossed in the process--usually hooking feverishly well into the night. As a self taught artist, the one thing that was difficult for me was to hook other peoples designs--when I had so many of my own swimming around in my head--so I designed my own rugs and then designed patterns for others as well.
I especially like using recycled woolens for my creations--I feel that the early rugs would have been made of cast offs and I try to keep with that tradition. That brought me to dying my own wool. I needed to get just the right colors to perfectly fit my design and also to give the appearance that the rug had been around for generations. Along with all this, I have shared my new interests with anyone who would listen -willing or not--and from that arose a wonderful opportunity with a long time friend who had a few sheep--and there I was with fleeces!! And now instead of just admiring my collection of vintage wool working items, I actually get to use them . It is very rewarding to wash the fleeces and card the wool and spin(a little) just as it was done in earlier times. This website is dedicated to sharing my love of these traditional crafts and all things wool. I live in Eagle, PA with my wonderfully patient husband who really has no interest whatsoever in wool but is extremely tolerant of the wool dust, wool worms, unfinished projects, piles of wool, bags of roving, pictures of sheep, patterns doodled on anything stationary, and everything else wool related that has oozed out of the studio and tries to quietly take over our home. He has learned to use my trusty Rigby and has come to truly believe that snippets on the floor are not really dirt. Soul mates are like that-and I am eternally grateful for his support and encouragement.

4 comments:

Jan Pierce - Moonhallow Vintage Halloween Folk Art said...

I just wanted to pop by and let you know how wonderful your primitive hooked rugs are! I especially like your crow and corn runner. It is really creative!! I have added your blog to my blog list so I can come back and visit over and over... keep up the fabulous folk art.
Jan Pierce
Moonhallow Vintage Halloween Folk Art

Anonymous said...

Genial fill someone in on and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you seeking your information.

Anonymous said...

Opulently I agree but I think the collection should acquire more info then it has.

Anonymous said...

I'm gone to say to my little brother, that he should also pay a visit this weblog on regular basis to obtain updated from latest information.

Review my website - home depot garden center